I recently got a new computer and as a result am re-listening to songs that I haven't heard in a long time, and this is one of them. This morning while getting ready for work my kids asked if I liked jazz, and my wife said "have you ever heard dad listening to jazz?"
Well, I do listen to jazz, it just skews towards the "free-jazz" end of the spectrum so I don't often listen to it while anyone is around/awake given that not everyone is a huge free-jazz fan (I still don't understand that one).
Anyway, this song comes from the 1969 album of the same name, Blasé, released on the amazing Actuel label -- a French imprint that existed from 1967-1971 and released mainly free-jazz, but also some nascent psych/prog stuff too...
Archie Shepp himself is a legend of the free-jazz scene having worked with Cecil Taylor, John Coltrane, Sun Ra, etc. as well as releasing some amazing music in his own right. He hasn't put out anything recently, but runs his own record label and apparently lives in Florida.
This song actually follow a pretty conventional path given his association with free-jazz, and has a slow sultriness to it that I always get a little lost in...
All of Ethiopia awaits you my prodigal son! Enjoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment